Thursday, May 8, 2008

Low Carbohydrates Diet

I have had a problem with my weight since I was a child. There have been times in my life where I am close to my ideal weight and there have been other times when I have been sixty pounds overweight. No matter how good I feel and look when my weight is down I return to old habits of overeating. I love food, all kinds of food. I love cooking, grocery shopping, and serving food to guests. I know my weight is not healthy, but I love making healthy foods. I also like making foods that are high in calories.

My cooking skills and love of food began to create a weight problem for my husband also. He has never been overweight, but soon the amounts and kinds of food that I had in the house started to catch up with him. He told me that he needed to find a diet that would help him shed the extra fifteen pounds that he had gained. I agreed that I needed to try to lose weight again so we went on a low carbohydrates diet together. I have tried every diet known to man, from weight watchers to pills, to prepared foods plan. I know that I need to make a life style change in addition to the dieting, because no matter how much I lose I put it back on. The hardest part of the new diet is finding a low carb breakfast. It is true that you can eat eggs, cheese and meats; however these things take time to prepare. I leave for work quite early in the morning so taking time to make a low carb breakfast was not something I wanted to do. Many of the quick solutions for a morning meal did not fit the criteria for a low carb breakfast. Toast, cereals, yogurts and fruit which are quick to grab and eat on the run were not on the list of acceptable foods.

When we were on this diet there were not as many low carbohydrate foods available on the market as there are today. Most prepared and packaged low carb breakfast foods and other meals came out a year or two later, after the low carb diet became so popular. I find it interesting that once all of the prepackaged foods began to be available, people were not having as much success with the diet. The convenience of the prepackaged foods leads to a greater calorie intake. My solution for the low carb breakfast was to boil a dozen eggs on Sundays. I would keep them in the refrigerator and eat two of them each morning. For a mid morning snack I would eat a couple of sticks of string cheese and then have a chef salad or bun-less burger with a side salad for lunch. Dinner was always protein and greens. We did both lose weight on the diet and the nice part was that you do not feel hungry